How to use OpenId based provider?

Hello,

I trying to use Silhouette with OpenId provider in a Play Framework Scala application. The provider is Okta.

Being a newbie I have difficulty understanding how to implement controller authentication method based on the documentation article alone…

• Does Silhouette work with OpenId providers other than steam and yahoo?
  • Could you point out a working Scala example of Silhouette with a Provider (preferably an OpenId provider)?
  • Any tips/suggestions on integrating with Okta or any OpenId provider will be super-helpful.

Thank you in advance!

Roni.

Hi,

it seems that Okta is using OpenID Connect which is currently not supported by Silhouette. Silhouette has an integration for https://auth0.com/ which is a similar project and which is based on OAuth2.

It can be the case that Okta does also work with OAuth2 be cause OpenID Connect is based on OAuth2. But in this case, you must implement your own provider.

Best regards,
Christian

Thank you @akkie!

OAuth2 is a good option too - Okta fully supports it! I will try to create a custom provider based on one of the Silhouette build-in providers, such as GoogleProvider.

@roni Would be great if you could contribute it back with some tests, so that others can also benefit from it.

Sure, @akkie, if it works for us i will be happy to contribute!