DI error - migrating to v5 and using persistence data store

I’d a working sample code using Silhouette v4 and Play 2.5. I started migrating to Silhouette v5 and Play 2.6 and have run into the following dependency injection error at runtime:

1) No implementation for com.mohiva.play.silhouette.api.services.AuthenticatorService<com.mohiva.play.silhouette.impl.authenticators.BearerTokenAuthenticator> was bound. 
while locating com.mohiva.play.silhouette.api.services.AuthenticatorService<com.mohiva.play.silhouette.impl.authenticators.BearerTokenAuthenticator> 
for the 2nd parameter of security.AuthenticationModule.provideEnvironment(AuthenticationModule.scala:79) 
at security.AuthenticationModule.provideEnvironment(AuthenticationModule.scala:79) (via modules: com.google.inject.util.Modules$OverrideModule -> security.AuthenticationModule)

And here’s the relevant code that the error is pointing to. Line 79 is Environment[AuthenticationEnv](.

def provideEnvironment(
		userService: UserService,
		authenticatorService: AuthenticatorService[BearerTokenAuthenticator],
		eventBus: EventBus): Environment[AuthenticationEnv] = {
	Environment[AuthenticationEnv](
	  userService,
	  authenticatorService,
	  Seq(),
	  eventBus
	)
}

I’m a bit stumped as to why this is occurring as I’ve double checked the following:

1. Have the necessary bindings i.e. bind[...] in the configure() method in my module i.e. AuthenticationModule.
  2. Have the @Provides annotations for the methods in my module.
  3. Have the module enabled in Play’s application.conf file
  4. Compared my module code with that of play-silhouette-seed example (v5) and don’t see anything that I’m doing fundamentally different.

Any thoughts on what else I need to double check or other ideas on troubleshooting.

Hi,

Could you please show your binding for the AuthenticatorService?

Best regards,
Christian

Here’s the complete listing of all the bindings.

def configure() {
    bind[AuthenticatorRepository[BearerTokenAuthenticator]].to[BearerTokenDAO]
    bind[Silhouette[AuthenticationEnv]].to[SilhouetteProvider[AuthenticationEnv]]
    bind[IdentityService[User]].to[UserService]
    bind[DelegableAuthInfoDAO[PasswordInfo]].to[UserPasswordDAO]
    bind[DelegableAuthInfoDAO[OAuth2Info]].to[UserOAuth2DAO]

bind[IDGenerator].toInstance(new SecureRandomIDGenerator(64))
    bind[PasswordHasher].toInstance(new BCryptPasswordHasher())
    bind[FingerprintGenerator].toInstance(new DefaultFingerprintGenerator(false))
    bind[EventBus].toInstance(EventBus())
    bind[Clock].toInstance(Clock())
  }

I should also point out, that if I’d add the following binding to the above code,

bind[CacheLayer].to[PlayCacheLayer]

then I additionally get this error:

No implementation for play.api.cache.AsyncCacheApi was bound.
while locating play.api.cache.AsyncCacheApi
for the 1st parameter of com.mohiva.play.silhouette.impl.util.PlayCacheLayer.<init>(PlayCacheLayer.scala:32)
at security.AuthenticationModule.configure(AuthenticationModule.scala:47) (via modules: com.google.inject.util.Modules$OverrideModule -> security.AuthenticationModule)

Perhaps, rather than the bindings, something else is going wrong under the hood - incorrect configurations, binary incompatibilities?.

Hi,

your bindings are not enough. You do not have a binding for a AuthenticatorService. This is a binding for a AuthenticatorSrervice.

To your cache binding issue. If you bind the CacheLayer to the PlayCacheLayer implementation, then you must provide a binding for the AsyncCacheApi because it’s a dependency of the PlayCacheLayer implementation. So have you pulled the Play cache as dependency of your project? If not, please see: https://www.playframework.com/documentation/2.6.x/ScalaCache#Importing-the-Cache-API

Best regards,
Christian

Thank you Christian for the pointer. Apparently the provideAuthenticatorService method had implementation details for the CookieAuthenticator instead of BearerTokenAuthenticator - a copy / paste error on my part and for unknown reason, I completely missed double checking this section of code and assumed all is good.